As you guys know I am a pretty big fan of Switzerland’s capital city Bern. I particularly love the Rose Garden that overlooks the whole city. So when I heard that Bern had been officially named ‘The Most Instagrammable Winter City in the World’ I simply had to go back and see for myself.
So when I heard that Bern had been officially named ‘The Most Instagrammable Winter City in the World’ I simply had to go back and see for myself. Bern was crowned this title after it was found that ‘#bern’ was the most popular hashtag used on Instagram with photos of stunning cityscapes and wintery scenes. So far the hashtag has been used over 1,082,000 times.
Since my trip I’ve added quite a few more additions to the hashtag and wanted to share my favourite wintery insta-worthy things to do in Bern with you.
5 Insta-worthy Things to do in the Most Instagrammable Winter City in the World
1. Forget Santa’s Sleigh and take a Rickshaw Ride
I’d never done a rickshaw ride before but after this one I’m hooked. It was especially nice in winter because we had soft blankets, warm glühwein (mulled wine) and delicious cookies to keep us cosy while we took in the winter wonderland, UNESCO listed, city sights.
2. Do a little Christmas Shopping
Bern is the perfect place to sight see and shop at the same time. Whether you are looking for Christmas decorations, gifts for family and friends, or you really just want to stuff yourself full of glühwein, cheese and gingerbread (no judgement here), there are lots of options. My favourite shopping spots and top tips are:
Christmas Market on Cathedral Square
This cute little market has a very authentic feel, full of local artisans and their unique creations. I stood in awe at the rainbow hued candle shop for quite a while! It’s also right next to the Bern Cathedral (the cathedral with the highest steeple in Switzerland), so you can sightsee and shop at the same time! Keep a lookout for ‘Märitbeizli’ – it’s rumoured to have the best white glühwein in the city!
Christmas Market on Orphanage Square
Bern’s second and biggest Christmas Market is perfect for gift shopping or meeting up for a glühwein and gingerbread. Make sure you get some caramel from the sweetly decorated gingerbread house stall. It is pure melt in your mouth goodness. I’ve also heard that the do-it-yourself fondue from the Platzhirsch restaurant is lots of fun!
The Ancient Arcades of Bern
Bern’s 6km of shopping arcades run down the two main streets, Kramgasse and Gerechtigkeitsgasse. Perfect for shopping even when the temperature drops and the snow starts to fall, because they are under cover and protected from the weather. You can also duck down into the cellar shops that line these streets. They were built as storerooms in the Middle Ages but are now full of cute little shops, galleries and cafes. My favourite little spots are:
- Feines Leben: The prettiest little stationery shop I’ve ever laid eyes on – a pastel lovers paradise. Full of postcards, notebooks and the cutest ceramics, I just couldn’t walk out without buying something.
- Art of Scent: I love the concept behind this perfume studio. You can create your own Bernese scent as the perfect memento or perhaps choose something from the lovingly blended and Swiss made Bern Collection.
3. Take a magical stroll though the Bern Rose Garden
I simply couldn’t visit Bern without going back to this favourite spot. Frolic around in the snowy gardens, watch over the city as the world goes by and warm up at the garden bonfire with a hot drink. Want to see what this spot looks like when the roses are in bloom? Take a peek at my last trip here.
4. Seek out your Favourite City View
Bern has so many beautiful spots to look out across the city – all perfect for getting that quintessential instagram snap. Some of the best places to try are:
- Kursaal Bern Terrace: If you happen to be staying here you might have your very own private view of the city from your balcony but if not you can still enjoy the views at Allegro. The hotel terrace is open to the public!
- Minster Terrace: Look out across the pastel hued Aare River and enjoy the panoramic view. If it’s an especially cold day pop into the pavilion of Café Einstein au Jardin for a warm drink and comfort food.
- The Bern Minster: Enjoy views across the city and off into the snowy alps from Switzerland’s highest church tower.
- Bern Rose Garden: You know I couldn’t leave this one off the list!
5. Stand in awe as the city Twinkles and Shines
When night falls it’s tempting to keep toasty indoors but you might just miss one of the most magical things about winter in Bern. The inner-city bonfires and twinkle of Christmas lights. So get rugged up and get outside for a little bit of pre-dinner wandering.
The perfect spot to get your Christmas cheer going is the cute little Oscar Elch pop-up bar. With it’s cute little alpine huts, hot drinks and cheese fondue you’ll be feeling warm and fuzzy in no time.
Have you seen my Bern vlog yet? Take a peek to get a real feel for the most instagrammable winter city in the world, and be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to make sure you don’t miss out on any new Jayde Archives videos!
Would you love to visit Bern and see the most instagrammable winter city in the world for yourself? Or maybe you’ve already been and have some wintery tips to share too! I’d love to hear in the comments below.
LIKE THESE OUTFITS?
These items are from my ’17/18 Winter Capsule Wardrobe.
This trip was kindly sponsored by Bern, however all opinions are my own. I only ever recommend places and things that I personally love!
If you loved this post I think you’ll enjoy these too…
Weekend Wanderings: Visiting the Bern Rose Garden / Highlights of our First Year Living in Switzerland